Interested in developing a regular meditation practice? I’d like to! So I’m challenging myself to meditate daily from 2 Dec through 24 Dec. for at least 5 minutes.
Feel free to join me (Danette). We’ll use this space to share our experiences, what works for us, what doesn’t, etc.
Not sure how to meditate? Here’s how to do it:
1. Sit comfortably with your hips higher than your knees. Use a cushion if you need to; you could also sit in a chair. But don’t lie down.
2. Your hands can be in your lap, palms up, right hand on top of left. Or you can place your wrists on your knees, palms up, thumbs touching your forefingers.
3. Close your eyes. Slowly breath in and out through your nose without trying to control the breath. Just keep your mind focused on the breath.
4. Your mind will start to wander – this is natural! It’s that “monkey mind” that we’re trying to control, those thoughts that constantly ping around inside our heads as if they’re steel balls in a pinball machine.
5. When you notice you’re thinking of something, gently bring your focus back to your breath. No need to beat yourself up about it, just acknowledge it and refocus.
Just like practicing yoga, keeping to a restrictive diet, or following an exercise program, you’ll have days when it’s easy and days when it’s tough. Just remember it’s “progress, not perfection.”