The Yoga Connection periodically hosts workshops and events. Future workshops and events will be posted here, as well as on our Facebook page
Yoga Basics: Introduction to Yoga
Saturdays, January 22-February 26, 2020, 1:00-2:30pm, $135
What can yoga do for you?
You don’t need to be flexible to learn yoga. In fact, being stiff means you have the most to gain from cultivating a consistent yoga practice. Yoga Basics introduces you to the many physical and mental health benefits of yoga:
- A regular yoga practice increases our strength, mobility, and flexibility.
- Yoga can help us improve our balance, on and off the mat. Metaphorically and literally.
- Yoga and meditation teaches us how to stay in the present. That can help us stay calm when confronted with conflict and stress off the mat.
In this 6-week course, you’ll learn:
- fundamental yoga postures and how to do them correctly so you don’t learn bad habits which can cause injuries down the road;
- how to put the poses together in short sequences and sun salutations;
- breathing techniques used during a practice and for stress management;
- how to use meditation and relaxation techniques to quiet the mind;
- yoga philosophy and how yoga can be incorporated in our daily lives.
What do you get in Yoga Basics?
- Nine hours of detailed instruction in a safe and encouraging environment.
- Yoga mats and all props – blocks, straps, bolsters and blankets – are provided. Feel free to bring your own yoga mat if you prefer.
- Optional additional practice Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.
- Handouts with poses so you can practice at home, and mid-week emails to keep in touch.
Who is teaching the course?
Together, Danette Watt and Andrea Chancey Chastain have more than 10 years’ teaching experience and hundreds of hours of training. Danette is a 200hr teacher and a Yoga Wellness Educator. She has years of experience in fitness, and brings that knowledge to her training.
Andrea is a 500hr teacher and has taken training in Y12SR, which combines the practical tools of the 12-step program of recovery with the physical and spiritual practices of yoga. Both are registered with Yoga Alliance. Both have a strong interest in the chakras.
I’m in! How do I register?
Cost for Yoga Basics is $135. Preregistration / payment is required. Download a registration form/waiver and pay by check (Yoga Connection c/o Be Well Now, 221 E. Center Dr., Alton, IL 62002) or through PayPal or Venmo.